LET’S GET READY offers a continuum of services that enable low-income students to maximize their college options and stay on the path to successful graduation. Our Program Model encompasses two major objectives:
Let’s Get Ready begins with the College Access Program. This program offers participants SAT preparation and assistance with all aspects of the college admissions process. Each program serves 40-60 high school students and is led by two college student Site Director managing 15-20 Coaches. The college students that volunteer as Coaches receive extensive training and, since they have recently taken the SAT and scored well, are uniquely equipped to tutor and mentor our high school students. By harnessing the passion of these enthusiastic volunteers, Let’s Get Ready provides its students with concrete skills and knowledge as well as the inspiration and encouragement they need to succeed.
Programs are offered during the fall, spring and summer. They are built upon close partnerships with colleges, high schools and community organizations. Each 9-week program includes:
- Two 3-hour classes per week
- Small classes, based on ability level, of approximately 5 students per Coach
- 30 hours of intensive SAT preparation
- 2 diagnostic SAT exams
- 15 hours of assistance with college selection, applications and financial aid/scholarships including special sessions with college admissions and financial aid officers
- College visits
- Intensive mentoring support in and out of the classroom
In addition to our core program, we offer workshops and support services throughout the year. Topics include career exploration, completion of financial aid forms, application essays, and successful transitions.
A growing number of Coaches and Site Directors come from similar backgrounds to our high school students. Many are former participants of the Let’s Get Ready program.
Let’s Get Ready’s Program Model doesn’t end at college enrollment. We strive to ensure that our participants successfully obtain their degrees after they are admitted.
Low-income students caught in the “summer melt” between high school graduation and the start of their freshman year often fail to matriculate due to a lack of knowledge, guidance, or resources. And once on campus, underprivileged students experience yet another set of social and economic challenges. Let’s Get Ready’s College Success Program addresses these concerns and provides students with the following:
- MATRICULATION SHEETS for individual colleges detailing the required steps between acceptance and enrollment
- TRANSITION WORKSHOPS offering information on financial aid, course selection, housing, academic enrichment, resources, and financial literacy
- Trained college student TRANSITION COACHES who provide support via phone, text message, and email
- Trained college student SUCCESS COACHES that mentor LGR students in their first two years of college, connecting them to resources on campus and acclimating them to the college environment
- CAMPUS PEER SUCCESS SITES (at select colleges) where trained upperclassmen Coaches orient new students to college life, connect them to resources and support systems, and provide positive reinforcement
- WORKSHOPS on career development, summer internships, and financial aid renewal and scholarship information
- A two-way TEXT MESSAGING system that provides reminders, information, and support
- RESOURCE REFERRAL LISTS which provide college-specific campus services
- MONTHLY E-NEWSLETTERS
- A COLLEGE HOTLINE NUMBER
- OFFICE HOURS at our NYC and Boston offices
- DORM SUPPLIES and CARE PACKAGES for students at select locations
The collective talent of our trained Coaches makes it possible for us to serve thousands of students at minimal cost. Commercial prep courses designed solely to increase SAT scores typically charge a range of $1,000 – $5,000 per individual. Let’s Get Ready’s College Access and College Success programs are free for students and together cost the organization approximately $1000 per student.